7/1/12

My Cup Runneth Over

Ruffle Top: Kohls (old), Skirt: c/o Kosher Casual, Necklace: Gift from Aunt

I always feel so happy after attending church and it truly fills my soul!  I usually work at least 2 Sundays each month and my husband works many Sundays as well, so we don't get to go as much as we would like.  But we did make it today and it was great...the kids even behaved for the most part!  

I had grand plans of doing my hair for church, but after getting the kids ready I barely had enough time to blowdry it!  I stayed up waaaay too late last night watching a super depressing movie.  I've been wanting to read a book called "Sarah's Key" for a long time now, so when I saw the movie on Netflix I decided to start watching it at 1am.  It was mostly in French, which at first I wasn't a fan of (especially since I couldn't figure out how to add subtitles)...but after a while I got into it.  Not being able to understand what was being said really forced me to pay attention to what was going on.  But, like I said, it was pretty depressing.  The story is about a journalist's investigation of a family that was torn apart in the Vel' d'Hiv Roundup (where French police gathered up Jews in Paris and shipped them off to concentration camps in July of 1942). 
This is a picture my sister took of the Crematorium at the Dachau Concentration Camp.  This camp was actually used mostly for political prisoners and it was not specifically a death camp like Auschwitz was.

It always just hurts my heart that people were treated this way and it's so hard to believe that it was actually real.  I truly don't understand how a society could be manipulated into murdering a race of human beings.  It makes me remember how blessed I am to have food, shelter, love, faith, good health...the list goes on and on.  

There was a line in the movie that really stood out to me...something along the lines of "how do you know you would have acted differently?"  That question is so thought provoking.  If I were a Nazi during this era, or even just a regular citizen who didn't want to get in trouble, how do I know that I would have stood up for what was right?  Would I risk my own life to help save another?  I would like to think so, but I have never been in that situation (and hopefully never will be).   

I am definitely going to go get the book and read it, because there are a lot of things I missed from not knowing what they were saying...plus books are always better than movies.  I just don't have a lot of time to read them!


On a lighter note, today at church I discovered that one of the beautiful ladies from the Sisters Four Say...More is More is in my ward (fyi, a ward is a group of LDS church members that attend church in the same building at the same time based on where they live).  Isn't it such a small world? If you haven't seen their cute blog you should definitely check it out!

14 comments:

  1. LDS world is truly small :) I'm reading a book "The house I loved" by Tatiana de Rosnay (the other of "Sarah's Key")right now, and it's kind of depressing too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, now I have two books I need to read :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard the same thing before. And even about like treating african american's so badly. What if you grew up thinking that they were bad. Would you have known differently? It's definitely sad and I'm glad I know better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think deep down you know certain things are wrong (like murdering people simply because of their heritage), even if you were raised to believe that it's acceptable. But then again, I know some good people that have racist tendencies, because they grew up in homes or communities where racism was normal. I don't know, but yes I am also glad I know better :)

      Delete
  3. That is so cool! I love finding bloggy friends that go to the same ward! What a small world it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so fun! This is the first time that has happened to me...so random!

      Delete
  4. I love that! the LDS world is such a "small world" :)


    followme@ www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just so gorgeous! And I want that outfit.... and all of your clothes! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have all my clothes if I can have your hair...sound like a deal? Oh, and you have to teach me how to cook :)

      Delete
  6. oooh I LOVE that shirt...the color is so pretty on you!
    Come on over and follow along my colorful blog...I think you'd really like it (but maybe I'm a little bias?! haha)

    xoxo
    Aarean
    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! Your blog is lovely...thanks for your kind words :)

      Delete
  7. Sarah's Key is very sad, but it's such a great story of what people went through. I hope you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished reading Sarah's Key last week. Such an emotional book! It was amazing though. I had no idea there was a movie too so thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a thought provoking question... I would assume everyone would hope they chose the right, but that might not have been the case given your circumstances at the time. SO so sad.

    ReplyDelete