10/20/12

Mt. Rushmore


Since my sister's wedding was in Rapid City, we decided to drive over to the Mount Rushmore National Memorial.  It was really fun to see this sculpture up-close (although it wasn't as big in person as I had imagined it would be).  


My sister and I had to take a few jumping pictures.  A couple people were looking at us like we were crazy, but we didn't let a few Negative Nancies stop us from having a good time!


And one last photo from the trip...getting our groove on at the wedding reception!  By the way, I have absolutely NO RYTHYM, which I'm pretty sure is a trait I inherited from my Dad.  But who cares what you look like when you are having FUN!


And now I will leave you with some fun Mount Rushmore facts from the National Park Service Website:

  • More than 90% of Mount Rushmore was carved with dynamite blasts.
  • The four presidents included in the sculpture are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
  • It took 14 years to carve Mount Rushmore.  Work began on October 4, 1927 and the sculpture was completed on October 31,1941.
  • Carved by the artist and sculptor Gutzon Borglum, along with 400 workers.
  • The sculpture cost $989,992.32 to build.

7 comments:

  1. i was just there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did you head over to see crazy horse too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were here last year after our hike to the Harney Peak. It was sure interesting though to get to the statues that close and going up and down that trail to get even closer. The only bad thing was it was so darn hot that time and I was like almost 6 months pregnant. I didn't enjoy the weather, but still glad I got to go because my first time in SD we only went to the Crazy Horse. We made sure to visit Mt. Rushmore last year. Looks like a great wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun. We drove across the country when I was 16 (yes my whole family of 7 in our minivan for 7 weeks.. Joy.) We jumped out of the van in front of Rushmore to take a picture and got right back on the road. Your photos are way better.
    Congrats to your sister! So exciting.
    Ps. PLEASSSE tell me that is the Daisy Fuentes shirt you are wearing from Kohls.. cause I have the EXACT one. Love it. Proof I can be a hot stylish momma like you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think they are pretty cute, but I'm kind of biased, haha :)

      Delete
  5. Love the pics. You've got a beautiful family :)

    http://sophisticated-sisters.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete