6/15/12

Peter Pan had a Collar?

Dress: c/o Sugarlips, Cardigan: Target (Clearance), Extender Slip: Karma Boutique, Shoes: Kohls
I recently shared my extender slip tutorial, but here is one that I purchased before making the other one.  The dress I'm wearing is from Sugarlips Apparel and it's so adorable, but there is no way I could have worn it without something underneath.  Yay for cute slips that save my life! 

For the record, it was extremely warm today and I really wish I would've had a light-weight, short-sleeved cardigan to wear with this...I was sweating up a storm!  But this dress is also sleeveless, so I needed something to go over it (or under it, but that looked horrible...trust me, I tried). 

You know what? It can definitely be a challenge to dress modestly sometimes.  But, it's kind of like a game for me now...I have to try to figure out how I can make certain clothing work for me!  Sure, this dress was probably meant to be "sexy", but I brought it down a notch.  I think it is still cute and more appropriate for a mom, right?

To be honest, I'm not even sure if this outfit really goes together, but I am trying to go outside of my comfort zone and try new things.  I love the Peter Pan collar on this dress and the floral print is so pretty!  Speaking of Peter Pan collars, I was seriously wondering where the Peter Pan collar got it's name...because I have seen the Disney movie enough times to know that his collar does not look like that.  Well, good old Wikipedia answered my question: "It is named after the collar of the costume worn in 1905 by actress Maude Adams in her role as Peter Pan."  Thanks Wikipedia for clearing that up for me!

35 comments:

  1. That dress is stunning, I really do love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit!! So cute, and the slip is adorable with it. The outfit goes together great :)

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks! That means a lot coming from you (I love your style!)

      Delete
  3. Love the style of that dress! If you shorted and removed the cape from my dresses they would very similar :) Dresses styled like that are very slimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think so too! The waistline is in just the right spot :)

      Delete
  4. This pairing is GREAT. The dress is gorgeous and that extender slip is beyond perfect. Love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear they go together, cause I was having the HARDEST time figuring out what to wear with this cute dress!

      Delete
  5. adorable! haha i was wondering wear peter pan color came from too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit. That dress is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty look. The dress suits you and I like the way you styled it. The dress goes well with the cardigan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for prioritizing dressing modestly. You're a beautiful example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh yeah, that dress would be real short without your slip! This outfit is cute how you styled it! I think it all pairs nicely together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I think it is partly because I am tall...dresses are never long enough for me to begin with! Thanks Kassi!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful outfit! I love the dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It IS hard to dress modestly. As I've been editing my wardrobe I've noticed that a lot would have had to go if not for creative ideas like your slip! So, keep on inspiring me. As for roasting in a sweater, I feel your pain! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am SO glad that I have inspired someone! That is my main goal for this blog! Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  12. Just found your blog and I LOVE it! I can't wait to see more posts!

    I would love for you to link this at my Flaunt It Friday link party. Also, make sure you join my new blog, Blissful Bucket List! :)

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. aw i love this - the lace slip is beautiful :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you styled this!!
    i'm your newest follower :) can't wait to see more!

    followme@ www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally think it all works! Maybe not for the middle of summer, but a must for early fall or early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, yeah it was way too hot for summer! I will have to find a short sleeved cardi to wear with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What brand are the shoes? I love them and I love kohls! I fear that don't have my size though =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Elle...but I just checked and they don't carry them anymore :(

      Delete
  18. I had never heard of extender slips until I saw them in someone's shop earlier this week......of course, for the life of me I can't remember whose it was. Can you and others educate me a bit?

    Is it a full slip, or just a half slip....also, how difficult is it to keep the amount showing "even"? Are they made of material that is washing machine friendly? I really am clueless about the whole concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I've seen have only been a half slip and they just have lace or some other type of trim on the bottom to make it look cute! I don't wash mine in the washing machine, but I think you can...I am just too scared to try! If you look on Etsy and just do a search for extender slip you will find a few shops that sell them. If you are crafty, you could try to make your own with just a plain half slip and some lace. I have a tutorial for a no-sew slip extender here on my blog :)

      Delete
  19. SO cute!! I almost ordered this from sugarlips. I think it was in my top three picks. :D We definitely are meant to be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So loving the dress and courage in faith to have a dedicated blog that is inspirational. New reaer. Loves.

    www.together-inspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super LOVING that dress, so darling and adorable.. uuum your heels are very FAB as well.. Great outfit.. Totally well put together.. LOVE.. thanks SO much for linking.. ;)) Wishing ya a beautiful evening.. xo..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahh! This is SO cute!? Love the way you put this together! That's something I'm still not comfortable with yet...but I'm attempting to pay more attention to it ; ) Your style is right up my alley girl - been poking around your blog. CuuUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this dress and the sweater. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. lOVE THE SLIP! AND THE DRESS! SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete