1/11/13

Nail Polish Storage - DIY Shelf

My nail polish collection was starting to take over my house.  I would find it in my living room, bedroom, bathroom...you name it, nail polish was probably there!  It was definitely time to find a place to keep these babies organized.  Previously, I just kept my nail polish in a drawer, but I really wanted to keep them on display somewhere.  That way I can see which colors I have, which makes it easier to find exactly what I'm looking for.  I decided that a shelf was the perfect solution!

I went to Lowes and bought three 21/32 x 2 x 8 primed boards, which were $3.24 each at my local store.  I had them cut the boards there (since it was free).  The first board was cut into three pieces (3 ft, 3 ft, 2 ft) and the remaining two boards were cut into four pieces (each piece was 2 ft).  The gentleman that cut them for me did a great job and the pieces were all even, but if you are building something more complex I would recommend cutting the wood at your house to ensure everything fits together right.  

Once I had all the pieces it was time to measure exactly where I wanted the shelves to go.  I started by putting the longest two boards (3 ft) on the sides, then a board at the top and a board at the bottom.  I made smaller spaces between the shelves at the top (to fit my Zoya, Deborah Lippmann, Butter London, etc.).  Then I made larger spaces between the shelves at the bottom (for my Julep, OPI, China Glaze, etc.).

Next, it was time to put the shelf together.  Here is where things got tricky.  I have absolutely no building experience.  I've used a drill to put screws in the wall to hang picture frames and that's about it.  So...I didn't know you were supposed to pre-drill with a drill bit.  When I tried to attach the boards with the screws the wood split.  Needless to say, I lost a couple of my shelves in this process. 

I gave up for a couple days, but when my family came to visit I enlisted the help of my Dad and we got to work!  We re-measured where the shelves would go, then pre-drilled all the holes for the screws.  The only place you need to put screws is in the sides (You can see where I put them in a couple of the pictures below).  We screwed the side boards into each shelf.  There were a couple places where the wood split a tiny bit, but nothing noticeable.

I smoothed out some of the edges with some sandpaper.  The boards I bought were already primed, so I just added a coat of white paint.  The only thing left to do was to display the nail polish on the shelf (this was my favorite part)!  I organized them by brand and then by color.  But, I soon realized the shelf is not even big enough for my whole collection!  As we were building it, I thought there was no way I could fill up all the shelves with what I had.  Well, I was wrong.  I guess I will have to build another one soon!

I'm really happy with how it turned out.  It cost about $15 to make (boards-$10, screws-$5, paint-leftover from another project).  I probably could have found a less expensive storage solution, but the learning experience and bonding time with my Dad was worth every cent!  

So, what do you think?  How do you store your nail polish?

52 comments:

  1. Oooh la la! I love your collection and your shelf looks great~

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this ias awesome jenny! thats neat that you made it - given that i have like 3 colors of nail polish they currently reside in a make up bag somewhere in my bathroom closet. but...maybe its time to branch out and learn how to paint my nails :P

    love all the colors (and i'm a sucker for anything organized by color :)

    love,
    elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth! I started out with only a few...then it somehow turned into an addiction :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! What room do you hang it in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's hanging up in a corner of my bedroom, right by a desk where I can paint them. Part of me wanted to display them where everyone coming into my house could see them...but then I remembered that I am not a nail salon, haha.

      Delete
    2. This is a great shelf! One question - is it hanging on the screws in the wall like a picture would be or is it actually screwed into the wall? This is just what I'm looking for as a surprise for my 14 year old. Great job! :)

      Delete
    3. It's hanging on the screws like a picture would be...just make sure you use anchor screws in the wall, cause it's pretty heavy!

      Delete
  4. WOW! I always feel guilty about my five bottles of nail polish taking up space. After seeing your gigantic collection I will never feel guilty again!

    That shelf turned out great, and I love the color you used on it.

    Liv
    www.livwrites.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah you should definitely not feel guilty! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. so fun! YOU ARE LIKE A NAIL SALON! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, a nail salon would have a lot more reds and pinks...I like my nails to be more fun!!

      Delete
  6. I need to make one of these SOOOOO BAD!!!! I love it Jenny! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the perfect craft for you- wondered where you put all of that polish. Love how you have displayed it.

    Kilee
    www.onelittlemomma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! Yeah...my husband was kinda getting sick of me leaving it all over the house :)

      Delete
  8. holy cow!!!! so many pretty colors!! uhmmmm nail party at your place!!!! lol. i just dump mine into a bin and sometimes, it gets lost forever haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some get lost forever too! That's why this was much needed, lol. And I would love to have a nail party :)

      Delete
  9. WOW! You do have quite the collection! Love how colorful they all look on the wall there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, girl! This is some serious nail polish :)

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have so many incredible colours! Wow! I love your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it!!! I just reorganized mine into a little 3-drawer plastic thing that I set on my vanity top, but I'm realizing it's already full. I'd love to do a modified version of this is I can figure a way to make an easily removeable front for it (maybe to make it look like a wall hanging) since the only space for it would be in my bedroom and I don't think I'd want it all showing. But def. going to think harder about it and see if I can up with something because it looks awesome! :) Way to be crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool! I have alot of nail polishes, but I think you have me beat. :)

    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! and wow, you have a lovely collection...my daughter would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! It all looks great! I have to admit the pictures make me feel a bit stressed. Having 5 girls I have a lot of nails to paint....and sometimes those little ones get into my collection and paint EVERYWHERE! I love this idea though...maybe getting them up and out of the way with their own little place would be good! Then maybe I wouldn't mind it all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another one of the big reasons I decided to do this! I have two little ones and leaving my nail polish lying around is just a disaster waiting to happen...they are much less likely to get into it when it's out of reach on the shelf :)

      Delete
  16. Wow, it looks awesome! What a lot of pretty nail polishes!

    -Hannah Avery

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO jealous!! Your collection is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so fantastic! I currently keep my 55+ bottle collection in a clear mens plastic shoe box, along with my other nail stuff, like stamping supplies and files etc. This shelf is so awesome, I've been wanting something similar so I can see everything even easier. Thanks for posting this!

    Erica
    http://nomoretees.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in looooove with this! My nail polish is currently overflowing in a box right now :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is soooo awesome! I have no were near this size collection so I just keep it in a box but I love that you can easily see every color! If you run out of room can you turn them all sideways? you could still see the colors and stock the shelf tighter...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great idea. I love that you can see every single bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it. I guess I'm going to have to do something like this because with my 1800+ bottles, I'm seriously running out of all the traditional storage methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1800❔❔ wow. I have 100+ and even a few I toss out every so often because they go dry.
      Do you have two of the same?

      Delete
  23. I'm making this over the weekend. I hope mine turns out half as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did you secure this into the wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to use two anchor screws, because the wood is so heavy!

      Delete
  25. Any problems with the wood warping or bending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's still in good shape. Just make sure the boards are straight when you buy them!

      Delete
    2. I made it! ty =D
      http://pinterest.com/pin/181903272422281152/

      Delete
    3. Yay! It looks great and I love the Despicable Me minions hanging out on the shelf :)

      Delete
  26. Hi, I am attempting this right now but my wood keeps splitting even with pre-drilling :(

    What size screws did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say 2 3/8", but I'm not really sure...I will try to remember to check when I get home from my trip! The drill bit I used made holes that were just a little bit smaller than the screws. I still had a tiny bit of splitting, but not bad :(

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Could you let me know the size too? I think you are referring to the length of the screws.

      Hope you have a fun and safe trip!

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. Yea, this is my main concern because a lot of glass bottles get heavy quick! Did you use anchors and screw it in to the dry wall or studs or did you use brackets? I don't see any but I don't want to assume anything then have my collection come crashing down... literally.

      Delete
    2. I used anchor screws to hang the rack. It's way to heavy to hang with regular screws :)

      Delete
  28. This is just the thing I was looking for! Thank you! Maybe I will start the project this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much for this easy, easy tutorial. One question, what kind of nails did you use? I have close to 130 bottles of nail polish, yes I can almost see the look on your face, but I also have a two daughters and one of them polishes her nails at least three times a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana! Honestly I can't remember what size of screws they were...I just know they were the flat wood screws. I'm sure you could ask an employee when you go buy the wood which screw would be best! Sorry I'm not more help!

      Delete
  30. I made two of these and connected them using a piano hinge so I can close it when not using it. This keeps the dust out. I also used 4d nails instead of screws and had no problems with splitting.

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/419608890255063222/

    ReplyDelete