1/9/13

City Spotlight: Minneapolis - The Mall of America


Late last month I was sent to Minneapolis for work.  I didn't mind too much, because it allowed me to do some last minute Christmas shopping at the Mall of America!  One piece of advice if you plan on visiting this shopping center: wear a good pair of shoes.  Fun Fact: Walking around one level of the mall is .57 miles, but that doesn't include the walking you will do inside each of the stores!


Visitors could easily spend all day at the mall.  There is a theme park in the center of the mall, called Nickelodeon Universe, that has 25 rides and attractions!  The Minnesota Sea Life Aquarium is also inside the mall, along with a 14-screen movie theater.  Fun Fact: The aquarium holds 1.2 million gallons of water!


My favorite part about the Mall of America is the random stores that you don't see at every other shopping center.  The Lego store was my favorite.  They even had a play area in the front of the store where kids (or adults) could build whatever their imaginations could think up!  Fun Fact: Over 170,000 legos have been lost in the play area.


My other favorite was the Peeps store.  I really liked how bright, colorful and fun the store was!  The store was so clean and organized.  It was pretty impressive, considering the amount of children that come through and mix everything up!  I actually HATE Peeps.  They are terrible.  My kids love them though (but then again, what kids don't?). 


I thought it was pretty funny that the Apple store and Microsoft store are right across from each other.  They were both extremely busy!


After shopping, I needed to take a trip to the food court.  There were restaurants as far as my eyes could see!  Of course, I still couldn't figure out what to eat.  I ended up leaving the food court and going to a mexican restaurant called Cantina #1, which had a great happy hour special.  I had chicken quesadillas, chips and guacamole...so delicious!

Here are a few more fun facts from the Mall of America website:

-32 Boeing 747s could fit inside the mall.
-The mall is home to more than 520 stores.
-There are 40 million Mall of America visitors each year.

Have you been to the Mall of America?  

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great trip! I was 8 when Mall of America opened and I begged and begged my parents to take me to Camp Snoopy. Of course, I was too short to ride a lot of the rides, but... I still find the MOA to be a great place to spend time, almost 21 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mall was huge to me...I can't even imagine how gigantic it would seem at 8 years old! I do really like that they have a lot of things to keep little ones busy :)

      Delete
  2. We use to live in Bloomington, MN so we would go every once in awhile. I would go to walk with our only baby at the time. It was a nice place to walk inside when the weather was so cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the perfect place to walk with a stroller to get some exercise. I was actually thinking that as I was walking around!

      Delete
  3. I've never been there but it sounds really neat. How is there any entire Peeps store?!? Crazy. And how can you not like Peeps?! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kassi, how can you like Peeps?! They are just a sugary marshmallow, haha. Maybe if it were roasted. I wonder how a Peep S'more would be!

      Delete
  4. I have always wanted to go here! great pictures! looks so much fun! crazy how big it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's on my bucket list! There is nothing more American than a good 'ol mall. And why not go to the biggest one in the country!?
    Looks so awesome! It's like disneyland for adults. ;)

    And I'm with you about peeps. I've actually never had them before. I think they look cute, but something so colorful and spongey shouldn't be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I actually went on vacation to minneapolis primarily to see the mall of America--we spent quite a bit of time exploring it! My favorite store was the Bettie Page shope--retro-style dresses--they don't have any outlets from that brand on my side of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live 20 minutes from the Mall of America! It's pretty awesome! :) I especially had a blast when I dedicated a day to the Nickolodean Universe rides with my husband and little brother. It's a fun mall :) SO much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to go there ever since I watched the show "8 simple rules", one day I will. RoRos World

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO cool! I haven't been there, but we ALMOST went to one in canada that's supposed to be bigger or something. haha! I don't like peeps either! Again, I love all the adventures that come with your job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We go to the MOA once a year as a treat to our kids after they get their Christmas and Birthday money to spend. It is fun to see how excited they get when they look at everything. Right now our favorite stores are American Girl store and Al's Farm Toys. We always have to stop at Build-A-Bear too. We do a lot of just looking around while we are there too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun recap....thanks for sharing! =)
    Jenni
    www.foundinmycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been there, but now I really freaking want to!!!

    SaraM
    http://clochedeletoile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fun!!! I've never been, but have heard it is an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete