11/2/12

Halloween Festivities


Halloween is tied with Christmas for my favorite holiday.  Every year we go trick-or-treating with the kids, then have a little get-together at our house with a few close friends.  We are that annoying family that dresses up together in a different theme each year (I'm sure my kids will get sick of that soon and start wanting to do their own thing, but until then I will keep it going!).  This year we were the Avengers!  My kids absolutely LOVED the movie and even before the movie came out they liked watching the old cartoons on Netflix, so of course they were all on-board with the costumes.  

I  handmade each of the costumes, except Thor...but I did make the hammer myself out of foam and a paper towel roll.  We had to do a "Girl" Captain America costume, so I made a tutu and painted a blue t-shirt.  The shield was a plain frisbee, which I painted and then added a velcro handle to the back. For Black Widow, I used leggings from Forever 21, a black Reebok workout top, boots that I already had, and a belt/holster my Dad let me borrow (I made a few straps to add on).  I made the waist belt out of old black tights and the symbol using old fabric.  Hulk was easy...I just ripped up an old white t-shirt, dyed some old shorts purple and ripped them up.  Oh, and of course the green body paint.  It took about an hour to turn Emery green.  I was so happy with how they turned out and I spent way less than if I would have bought all the costumes!


I also had to throw in some pictures from our trip to the pumpkin patch.  I love going to pick out our pumpkins every year.   It's just such a good time creating memories with the family and the kids really enjoy it!  Unfortunately, we didn't even get a chance to carve them...which I was super sad about.  Oh well, at least now they will last longer and be good decorations for Thanksgiving!


I hope everyone else had a great Halloween! Did you do dress up or do anything fun?

17 comments:

  1. Your kids look so cute! And I think that having a family theme is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your Avenger family costumes turned out! I'm also digging the picture of the treats! Caramel apples, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your costumes turned out Especially for throwing those together the day before! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWe! How fun your costumes are. What a wonderful family. Your kids are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. cutest girl captain america ever! my son was captain america last year, but it's so much more fun with the multicolor tutu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, looks like you've been super busy!!! I'm majorly impressed that you made all those outfits! Your kids are so super duper cute! And that pumpkin patch family picture is really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys went all out! I love the family theme!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously your costumes were GREAT! Loved it!

    Bisous
    Suzanne
    http://bisous.typepad.com/bisous/

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!!! I LOVE these girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys look AWESOME!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! I hope you had a wonderful Halloween!

    The Style Storm

    xo, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, so cute! I love that u made it all yourself, that's what I did. Costumes can be so overpriced and cheap looking. I think it's so fun that you do a theme for the whole family! You all look so great!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Your halloween looked awesome, and the family dress up is just too cute. Long may it last :)

    - Ididtellyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you did not get to carve your pumpkins and they are fairly small, you should try using them to make a pie. Look up the directions online. It's really not as hard as it sounds and it makes the best pumpkin pie when you use the fresh stuff! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete