11/27/12

Gumdrop Wreath Tutorial


Last year I made a gumdrop wreath for Christmas.  Well, guess what?  It's still in great shape!  Only one of the gumdrops fell off, but all I had to do was glue it back on.  I figured I may as well show you how to make your own! All you need for this project is gumdrops and a styrofoam wreath form, as well as a hot glue gun.  


At first, I started gluing the gumdrops around the inner circle of the wreath.  Once I started adding the second circle, I realized there were too big of gaps between the gumdrops.  I decided to take them all off and try something different.

My new strategy was to glue them on randomly, so I could lessen the amount of space between the gumdrops.  I didn't follow any pattern, just grabbed them at random, while trying to keep the colors as even as possible.

 
Once the wreath was finished, I added a red bow and it was all ready to be hung up.  Last year I put it in front of my mirror, but I have other plans for that space now...so it's new location is on the pantry door.  


Two things I learned while making this project:

1. Gumdrops are expensive.  The candy cost me $8, but you might be able to find some on sale. 
2. Some people use toothpicks to attach the gumdrops.  I tried this method and it was too time consuming...especially when you can achieve the same effect with hot glue.

I really do love my gumdrop wreath and it was pretty fun to make.  My kids love it too and if you have older kids I'm sure they would love making their own!  I ended up spending $3 on the wreath form, $8 for the candy and maybe $1 worth of ribbon.  It came to $12 total, but you might be able to make it for less (check the dollar store, you might be able to find the candy there).

Have you made any Christmas crafts, or have any that you are planning on making soon?  Please share, because I love getting ideas for creating my own holiday decorations!

Linking to: Craft-O-Maniac, Creations by Kara, Hope Studios, Too Cute Tuesday, Lil' Luna, Mad in Crafts, Sugar & Dots, The Winthrop Chronicles, Home Stories A-Z, A Diamond in the Stuff, Crafty Texas Girls, Crafty Confessions

21 comments:

  1. I made one of these a couple years ago and loved it! I even picked out all the green, red and white candies. Unfortunantley it didn't make the cut as we were packing up and moving. Love yours with all the colors, very cute and festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I did not have the patience or money to pick out the green, red and white gumdrops...I bet yours was so pretty!

      Delete
  2. This needs to be on Pinterest my love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff! BTW, I was in SFO for an hour yesterday and thought of you...I keep hoping to have a longer stay so we can play!

      Delete
  3. at first i wasn't sure how a gumdrop wreath would look... but it looks soooo cute! reminds me of candyland (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, I was worried at first too! It totally looks Candyland-ish, haha.

      Delete
  4. Cute AND delicious... I think I'll have to try it!

    Corbynn

    thesistersinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I better not eat mine...since it's a year old and has hot glue on it, haha :)

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! Do you think you'll need to spray it with some sort of clear laquer or something to preserve it for another year?
    Tara
    Penniless Socialite
    Enter My November Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara! I thought about spraying it with a clear spray last year, but now that I see it's in pretty much the same condition as when I made it, I don't think it's really necessary. Maybe I will just to be safe :)

      Delete
  6. last year I made the peppermint wreath...Im sure you've seen it all over Pinterest land. Well it failed....melted on my front door haha. I'm def going to try this one!! :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I totally want to try this!! SO cute!!
    Kal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try this too.. Looks so festive!


    www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks cute and its all eatable.. What do I know.. Come have a read of "What Is Love?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow wow wow! I love this DIY! ♥ Thanks for sharing this! Ill def do it this week!! :)

    ♥,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how fun, pretty and yummy! I'd probably be tempted to pull those things off and eat them, glue and all ha!
    Just saw a super cute paper tree DIY, and now this. Let the Christmas crafting begin. :)

    Happy day, sweet friend!
    xo
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome wreath! It looks yummy!

    T'onna
    Submarine Sunday Link Party @ http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/11/submarine-sunday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is too cute! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the sweetest holiday wreath ever! I actually just posted about a (wedding related) craft I finished on my blog today! Hope you'll stop by!
    xx,
    Kate at ummmnowwhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned out super cute... even it is did take 2 tries. After all that is what crafting is all about right, trial and error!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete