3/11/12

Tutorial: Dye Your Own Clothing

Yesterday, I made my first attempt at dyeing clothing.  I was inspired by the beautiful Shannon over at stylewithshannon.com.  If you haven't yet had the pleasure of reading her blog you should check it out now, because she has great style and lots of outfit ideas!  My first dye project went alright, but it was definitely a learning experience.  It was pretty simple, so I encourage everyone to try it out.  Here is how you do it:
Step One: Find an old item of clothing you no longer wear, or purchase an inexpensive item from your local thrift store.  You will want it to be white or off-white in color for the best results. 
Step Two: Gather your supplies.  You will need the item you will be dyeing, a box (or bottle) of fabric dye, 1 cup salt, a bucket or tub, 3 gallons hot water, and a separate bowl with 2 cups hot water.
Step Three: Dump 3 gallons of hot water into the tub.  Pre-dissolve powder dye in a separate bowl with 2 cups of hot water (not pictured).  Add this mixture to the tub, along with 1 cup salt, and stir. 
Step Four: Run your clothing under hot water, then add to the tub of dye.
Step Five: Stir the clothing around in the bucket for about 20 minutes.  It may be shorter or longer, depending on your preferred shade.  Luckily I had two cute assistants who helped me pass the time!
When you have achieved the desired shade, empty the tub and rinse well with warm water, then with cold water.  This would be easier in the sink, but I was paranoid that it would stain.
Wring out your dyed clothing and throw in the washing machine.  Wash on the warm setting with mild detergent and set it up to do an extra rinse cycle, if your machine has that option.  You don't want any of that dye left in the machine for your next load of laundry!  Once it is done washing, throw in the dryer or air dry.
This attempt wasn't perfect, but overall it turned out better than I expected.  The color was not exactly what I wanted; it was supposed to be tangerine and I think it looks like regular orange.  It's still fun and the price can't be beat (only about $1.50 for the dye with a coupon).  I really enjoyed this experience and I know I will be dyeing more clothing in the future.  It's an inexpensive, easy way to change up your clothing and I hope everyone will try it out.  If you do, let me know how it goes!

27 comments:

  1. Soooo cute!!! I need to do this with some of my stuff! And it was so fun to meet you the other night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome outfit and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, how cool is that?! i think it turned out great and love the whole outfit. thanks for linking up. :)
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!!!! What a great way to give new life to old clothes!! I'm going to feature next week on KIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hottest color of the year! love the transformation!

    thanks for linking up to Make it MOnday! I'll be sharing on the Brassy Apple FB page and with my twitter followers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeyI It turned out great! Every time you dye something you will get better and better! And yes we do need to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apart from tie dye when I was younger, I haven't attempted this, but I totally want to! Love your skirt. And thanks so much for becoming a Rosebud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore dying things! Your skirt looks great! I just used that color the other day, and mine turned out very pastel. I must not have left it in long enough. Fun color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial...and your skirt turned out a lovely colour! I'd love for you to stop by Etcetorize to join the Make it Great linky party going on right now (http://etcetorize.blogspot.com). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried to dye clothes but it looks easy enough! I think it turned out great. Perfect for changing up my thrift store buys and not worrying about it costing a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I'd love it of you linked up to Crafty Cousins!
    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-7.html

    ~Natalie

    Crafty Cousins is your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive! I've never tried to dye clothes but you made it look so easy. Would it have to be white?

    Plus, the aqua floral top is darling.

    Sarah
    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, it wouldn't necessarily have to be white, but it makes it easier. There is color remover you can use first if the clothing isn't white to help lighten it up as much as possible!

    And thank you everyone for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it turned out beautifully- I love orange! Thanks for sharing at Manic Monday!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic tutorial! My mother in law has been doing this for years to revive black clothing that looses its color in the wash and jeans. It's amazing how much they revive them. Great website! I am definetely coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome!! Been wondering how to go about dying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks wonderful. I am a new follower to your cute blog. I would love it if you came over to my new blog and followed me too. @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Thanks,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you linked this up to y Drab to Fab party!! Wanted to let you know I am featuring you this week!
    This week's party is up, so I'd love to see more of your great stuff!

    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/03/drab-to-fab-link-up-8-features_15.html

    Have a great one!

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow it came out looking amazing! You make it look so easy!

    :)
    xx

    http://daydreamfrenzy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way the skirt came out. Such a pretty color

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your skirt. I just dyed a couple pairs of khakis for my daughter and found that dying them in the wash machine was really easy. Here's my step-by-step tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. VERY cute!!! i love to dye clothes. i also will use dye for faded clothes. my son loves black shirts and when they get a little too faded i just run them through a black dye wash. (be careful with any printing on the shirt, it will get darker too). OR if i find a cute faded article of clothing that i must have at a thrift store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome!! Been wondering how to go about dying. Thanks for sharing!

    http://stylopoint.com/

    ReplyDelete