5/26/12

Being On-Call Makes a Grouchy Flight Attendant


Source
I have received some questions about my job as a flight attendant, so I have decided to start sharing more about it.  It's a big part of my life after all.

Unfortunately, this month I am back on reserve, which in flight attendant lingo means "on call".  When someone can't work their flight, because they are hungover sick, you are the lucky one who gets to work for them.  I had a real schedule for the past year and a half, but my airline lost some flights recently (I work for a regional).   So...it's back to being at the beck and call of crew scheduling.  I am going to tell you a little more about reserve, so you can understand why I hate it. 

Reserve is a little different at each airline, but where I work the reserve flight attendants are usually scheduled 5 reserve days in a row, with 4 of these blocks in a month.  Full-time reserves only get 10 days off each month.  Luckily I am part-time, so I am only scheduled for 2 five-day blocks each month.  Oh...and each of these days you are on call for 12 hours, unless you are assigned a trip.  In that case you are released when the trip is finished.  If you are assigned a 3 day trip, but you have 5 reserve days, you will be placed back on reserve for the remaining 2 days.  Kind of confusing, I know.

You might think "Why is she complaining if she only has to work 10 days in the month?"  Well, here is the problem:  I can make the same amount of money working only 6 days when I'm not on reserve.  It's not too shabby when I get paid to sit at home eating donuts and watching tv, but lately everyone has been getting called out every day.  

Everything in the airline industry is based on seniority.  A flight attendant who has been with the company for 5 months will be assigned a trip before the flight attendant who has been there for 3 years, unless the senior flight attendant prefers to be called first.  I will be one of the most senior FA's on reserve this month, but everyone has been getting called...so it doesn't matter too much.

When on call you can forget about making any plans.   We have 2 hours from the time we get called to the time we need to be checked in at the airport.  It takes me an hour just to get from my house to the airport, park, take the shuttle, go through security and get checked in.  I always have my bag packed the night before, so all I have to do is get dressed, brush my hair/teeth and throw on some makeup!
I absolutely love my job, but I hate being on-call! Hopefully I get my real schedule back soon.  If you have any questions about reserve, ask away!

Also, here is my biggest accomplishment for the week...I caught a fish!
Please excuse my face and its lack of makeup, it was early and I was rushed by the husband.  My favorite part of this picture is my dog's face.  I'm pretty sure he wanted to eat the fish (Don't worry, he didn't...the fish went back to its happy pond home).  Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone!

30 comments:

  1. Ouch--not being able to make any plans would be hard! Thanks for stopping by Garden Me! I'm happy to follow you back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would enjoy working on-call all the time either, so I definitely can understand why it would be frustrating! I think that it's awesome that you're a flight attendant, though. I bet you get to meet some interesting people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...definitely lots of interesting people, haha.

      Delete
  3. I think your job is SUPER interesting! Thanks for giving us a little peek into how that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love your job, so interesting! Love your picture with the fish, that's probally how I looked when I caught my first fish to :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't the first time I have ever caught one, but it's been a really long time!

      Delete
  5. You sure do have a crazy schedule! Thanks for following along, I'm glad to follow back and check out yours out. Hope you are having a great weekend and NOT working :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unfortunately I did get called to work...but that's ok :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Jenny! Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog :)
    It is nice to meet you! I loved reading all about your career as a Flight Attendant, I think you guys deserve a lot of respect for what you do :)
    Following back, have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this, always wonder what it's like in other peoples shoes ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, see you around again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it weird that I still kind of wish that I were a flight attendant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not...cause that would probably make me weird for actually being a flight attendant! I wanted to do it when I was younger, but it never worked out. I am so glad I decided to finally just go for it! Maybe you should too :)

      Delete
  9. i fly a lot and always see those poor flight attendants that get sent from one gate to the next and never seem to know if they'll actually be on that flight or not. My cousin was a flight attendant for Lufthansa for a few years and has shared some great stories ;) I bet you have those as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be stressful sometimes, but usually it isn't too bad. And yes...I have a lot of stories :)

      Delete
  10. Bummer...I know that must be frustrating. I hope the weekend still goes well for you!
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny! First and foremost, thank you for following my blog. It really makes me happy whenever I meet new people in the blogosphere.

    Flight Attendants are one of the careers I admire. More than the tough job, its hard to look best and fresh for a job that calls you anytime of the day, as in your case. But I guess you love your job too, that's why your job loves you back. Hope you can get your fixed and comfortable schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jenny, I'm new to your blog, but I'm so glad I found you :) I've always been curious about the work and procedures around being a flight attendant. I travel so much but each time I have so many questions. I'm glad you've started blogging about your work. My number one question would be (and it's not about being on call - sorry!) would be how you lot keep your face and makeup looking so great on long haul flights. Seriously?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenny, I'm new to your blog, but I'm so glad I found it. I'm glad you're blogging about your work as a flight attendant. Even though I travel a lot, I've always had a lot of curiousness around the work and procedures of being a flight attendant. I'm most curious about how flight attendants keep their face an makeup looking so great on long haul flights! That always gets me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since I work for a regional airline the longest flight I work is about 4 hours. But sometimes I work really long days (14-16 hours) and it can be a challenge to keep my makeup looking decent. I usually don't have a problem with my eye makeup, but I do sometimes need to run into the lavatory to reapply some face makeup or lipstick :)

      Delete
  14. I admire that you can be a fly by the bottom of your seat girl!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can definitely understand why you'd hate to be on reserve. It's too bad that you got called out and didn't get to enjoy your Memorial Day :( Safe flying!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work a lot of hours (a hazard of working for yourself) but I am forever grateful that I am not 'on call' and can schedule my own hours. This sounds incredibly stressful but hopefully you can get on your regular schedules soon! Thanks so much for following - love your blog! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the phone! Reminds me of my grandma's phone that was so hard to dial, but so quaint! Thanks for visiting and following. Now following your cute blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that you are talking about your job as a flight attendant - It all sounds so interesting to me! I'm now following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing! I always thought it would be cool to be a flight attendant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey thanks for sharing about your job! I had at one point considered being a flight attendant before I got married but didn't really know much about it. It's sound like it always keeps you on the job! Where has been one of your most favorite places to fly to? What's your favorite airport to fly into?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's interesting to learn more about different professions! Thanks for sharing about yours! I never really thought about how they schedule flight attendants. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wondering about being a flight attendant because I love to travel, great post! You/your blog is great!! Thanks for finding Happiechick via the blog hop! Now I'm gonna follow you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha this is so crazy. I once considered wanting to be a flight attendant just to travel everywhere. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete