7/22/13

Exploring Utah: Mt. Timpanogos Hike


Last week I went on the hardest hike I've ever done.  Emery and I hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos, which is the 2nd highest mountain in Utah's Wasatch Range.  We took the Timpooneke trail, which is 15 miles roundtrip.  It felt like 1500 miles.  I've done this hike twice before, but for some reason this time was the hardest...I think it's because we got started too late and it was really hot that day.  I honestly didn't think I was going to make it and I wanted to give up a couple times, but I'm so glad I had my supportive husband there to help encourage me to keep going!

The best part of our hike was an awesome animal encounter!  Emery was walking in front of me and we came to a curve in the trail. All of the sudden he started backing up and telling me to turn around right away. When Emery had walked around the corner, he found himself directly in front of a big bull moose, who happened to be blocking the trail and staring him down! We were able to climb up onto some rocks, just out of the moose's reach.  The moose watched us for a minute, but he determined that we weren't a threat, so he continued past us and made his way down the trail.

At the top of the mountain we met another animal friend...a mountain goat!  It was definitely a good day for an animal lover like myself!

The Mt. Timpanogos hike has so many gorgeous views.  It was definitely worth the sore legs I had the next couple days.  Pictures can't really do it justice, but here are some photos from our little adventure:


Our next big hike will most likely be at Zion National Park in September...we want to hike Angel's Landing!  I do have a pretty big fear of heights, so I'm a little worried.  Have any of you ever done this hike? I've lived in Utah for 8 years and haven't even been to Zion National Park yet, but I'm super excited to go!

32 comments:

  1. So amazing! Your animal encounters are fabulous and so rare! I'm jealous. :) I hate that pictures can never truly capture the beauty, but these turned out beautifully. Angela landing won't be as long as timp, but that last mile will be a challenge. Just take deep breaths and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been slightly more scared since you told me you slipped, haha. I'm sure I will be fine if I don't think about it too much :)

      Delete
  2. Excuse my grammatical errors, commenting from the phone. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness!! what an adventure!! i love the animal encounters you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel's Landing is beautiful! I'm a total baby when it comes to heights, and that hike really tested my limits at the end. It was so worth it though and I will forever be proud of myself for doing it! There are a lot of great hikes in that park, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sure it will test my limits big time...it definitely is something to be proud of, so good work!!

      Delete
  5. Wow it seems lovely! You really scored running into a moose!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks like so much fun! I loved visiting Utah. Zion park was absolutely amazing. You'll have a blast. :)

    Lauren
    Style of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing it's amazing...I can't believe it's taken me this long to actually drive down there! I'm excited :)

      Delete
  7. I love mt timp! it's such a pretty place. I've always wanted to hike up in the middle of the night to watch the sunrise at the peak. it's my. goal to do that before leaving Utah. also hidden canyon in zions is really cool and not as crowded as angels landing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my husband wants to do! I don't really want to hike in the dark though...I'm a baby, haha. Hidden Canyon looks awesome too :)

      Delete
  8. You have such a gorgeous surrounding! Truly blessed! Need to go back to Utah and try this hike! So pretty!

    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing! I love all the hikes here in Utah. Mt. Timp is one my husband and I keep talking of doing. Good luck at Angel's Landing. I have done almost every other hike at Zion but that one.

    www.lovinleelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Utah really is a great place for hiking...there are so many places to go! You and your husband should totally do it!

      Delete
  10. The pictures are amazing, still! You're so lucky to see the two wildlife. Hiking can be extremely challenging (in the beginning) but very rewarding (at the end). Your trip to Zion sounds so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can be a challenge, especially since I'm not the most in-shape person. I'm slowly working at it though!

      Delete
  11. I've been to Zion, but I haven't done the Angels Landing hike. I did the Timp hike last summer though, it's a tough one! The scenery is so worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great views really do make it worthwhile...but it's definitely one of the hardest things I've done!

      Delete
  12. Now I know what the hype is all about!!!!!! My nieces and nephews have been wanting me to take them here and I think I will have to make the time for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to! Please come over here soon!!

      Delete
  13. This hike looks amazing!!! Makes me want to fly out to check it out :) And look at you with your cutie cute sunglasses - so cute!
    xo
    Kym
    bitty.and.bunny
    bareMinerals giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my husband kept making fun of my sunglasses...doesn't he understand a girl needs to have cute accessories while hiking? Ok, maybe not :)

      Delete
  14. these pictures are GORGEOUS!!! and how cool that you saw the moose and mountain goat. well, the moose would be pretty scary so I'm glad that you guys were okay. but seriously such a gorgeous hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the moose was kind of scary...but sooooo cute! I wish I could have ridden him up the mountain instead of walking :)

      Delete
  15. So fun! I love hiking timpanogos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've done it? Ugh, come back to Utah and hike with me...

      Delete
  16. Ah, the west. So beautiful. I mean, I've never been. But this is breathtaking. I've actually never been to a US state outside of FL. I have, however, been to Europe 3 times, the Caribbean 5 times, Central America twice, and South America once. I really should get to explore my own country! Hopefully within the next 3 years or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow the photos look amazing! I'm not a big hiker myself, but this makes me want to hike! Oh yeah and those sunglasses are adorable!!
    x Norma
    http://thevagabondstale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jenny, just stumbled upon your blog and love your voice! Have fun in Zion - it's my favorite national park! Angel's Landing should be a piece of cake unless it's very crowded. Another fascinating though loong hike is the Subway - it's very well worth the effort but make sure you rise up very early and get a NP permit. Safe travels! x Julia

    ReplyDelete