1/31/14

Conversation Heart Topiary


I made this candy topiary for a little "Galentine's" party I put together and I love the way it turned out!  When it comes to Valentine's Day, I immediately think of conversation hearts.  I hate the taste of these candies, but they are so dang cute...I knew they needed to be incorporated in some way!  

Here's what you need:

1 bag of conversation hearts
1 styrofoam ball (mine was 4")
1 wooden dowel (5/16" wide, 12" long)
1 small pot (mine was 4")
Styrofoam (to go inside the pot)
Ribbon
Hot Glue
Paint (only if you want to paint the pot)


1. Start applying candy hearts to the foam ball, using a hot glue gun. 

2. Try to spread the colors out evenly and try to leave as little space as possible between the hearts.  Note: this can get difficult and there will be some spots where you can still see the foam, but once it's all put together it won't be too noticeable. 

3.  Leave enough space to insert the wooden dowel into the center of the foam ball.  Make sure it goes in straight, or it will be lopsided.  Hot glue around the insertion point to secure.

4.  Cut styrofoam and place into your pot.  Insert the other end of the wooden dowel into the center of the pot's styrofoam.  Again, make sure it goes in straight, unless you want a crooked topiary.  Hot glue to secure.

5.  Hot glue conversation hearts on top of the foam in the pot.  Through trial and error, I found that it's easiest to start from the outside of the circle and work your way in. 

6.  Using the ribbon, tie a bow around the wooden dowel. 


Pretty cute, right?  The best part is that it cost less than $5 to make!  Let me know if you try this, I'd love to see how yours turns out!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so fun to make too!

      Delete
  2. It's sooo cute, I love the idea, thank you for this blogpost!!!
    xoxo Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Let me know if you try it out :)

      Delete
  3. Great party idea for a Valentine's Day soirée...

    Have a great weekend!!!

    xoxo Violeta, your Shoegal Out In The World

    www.shoegaloutintheworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. This is actually a super cute and easy idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and creative is this!! Not sure I would have enough candy left hahah I would be popping them in my mouth like crazy!!
    Kat | www.poshbykat.com

    ReplyDelete