8/18/13

Sunday Style: Help Make a Difference!


It's Sunday...do you know what that means? It's Sunday Style time!

Before I get to the link-up, I have something really important to share with you today.  I feel like I have been so blessed by the opportunity to be a part of the Wallis Fashion contest and I have been overwhelmed by the support from all of you readers, as well as my friends and family.  I wanted to come up with a way that I could return the good karma.  Giveaways are fun, but making a difference is even better! Here is what I decided to do:

If I win the trip to New York Fashion Week, I will be donating 5 cents for every single vote I receive from now until the contest ends (Midnight EST on August 26th) to a very important cause that is close to my heart: Cancer Research.  

Growing up, I watched as my Grandma passed away from lung cancer.  I had a good friend from high school lose her fight with brain cancer and another close friend go through chemo while battling lymphoma (he is currently cancer-free).  Right now my friend's Mom is going through radiation.  Cancer affects so many people, it's ridiculous.  But it didn't fully hit me until my own Mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer a couple years ago.  Luckily she was able to have it surgically removed (and is now cancer-free!), but it made me realize just how much I hate this stupid disease.  Sure, there are ways to lower your risk of developing cancer, such as living a healthy lifestyle, but no one is completely exempt from it.  Science has come so far in recent years, but there is still so much research to be done. 

I hope you will help me fight against Cancer!  I will already be making a donation in honor of my Grandma.  However, I would like to make that donation even larger!  So, if I win this competition, I will also be donating 5 cents for each vote I receive from now until the contest ends.  That's $25 if I get 500 votes, $50 if I get 1,000 votes, $100 if I get 2,000 votes, and so on...and remember you can vote once an hour through the 26th!  After exploring a lot of options, I decided on donating to the Stand Up To Cancer charity.  I chose them because 100% of the donations received go straight to cancer research.  Also, if anyone would like to make a monetary contribution, just e-mail me and I will add it to the donation.  Thank you so much for your support and please know that I appreciate all of you so much!


Ok, now on to the Sunday Style link-up!  Last week had over 100 great outfits and I loved looking through all of them.  I can't wait to see what you have been wearing lately and next week I will get back to posting some of my favorite looks! As always, here are the rules:

1. Add the link to your specific outfit post, not your main blog page.
2. Grab a button and add it to your post (a text link is also fine). Note: if you don't link back to me, I can't feature you!
3. Comment on this post and someone else's post...the whole point is to visit each other.
4. Follow my blog, so you can be reminded to link up next time!

PLANE PRETTY


Linking to: WIWW

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Olivia! I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you have been so often touched with this saddest of diseases. I voted and I hope you do well. And on top of that what a good cause. Thanks for hosting once again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a sad disease...Thanks so much for voting and linking up :)

      Delete
  3. very chic! i am so sorry to hear about your grandmother and will definitely go vote.
    kw ladies in navy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently shaved my head to raise money for cancer research, so I am proud to keep voting for you... what a fantastic cause!! Good for you Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of you when I was coming up with this idea! I think you are so awesome and inspiring for doing that!

      Delete
  5. Oh what a fabulous thing to do!!! How cool! Headed over to vote now!

    xo
    Dawnelle
    Just Dawnelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this idea! Like you, I lost my grandma to cancer so this cause is especially close to my heart. She had pancreatic cancer and it is not a kind cancer. My family and I moved in with her to care for her and I held her hand through every grueling minute. Cancer research has come so far but there is still so much further to go. You would have had my vote anyway but now you get my vote and some MAJOR respect! You go girl!

    Lindsey
    High Heels and Training Wheels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma! I'm sure she really appreciated you and your family being there through it all :(

      Delete
  7. That is a great colour on you, and the fabric of the blouse gives it a louche, easy to wear look that is very chic! Well-played!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! and you have the most beautiful hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful thing to do, Jenny! Best of luck! I'll be voting some more. :)

    xo,
    Ana Paula
    {Visit me at Mommyhood, PhD}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your support!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea jenny! My grandma is currently suffering from cancer and we don't expect her to be around much longer. Its such a hard thing to deal with and I wish cancer didnt exist. I'll definitely vote for you and help you donate!
    Jessi
    http://haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that Jessi! I will keep your family in my thoughts :(

      Delete
  11. I lost my grandma as well to cancer, it's a heartbreaking thing to see. Wishing you luck!

    Sarah
    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss, it's crazy how many people have to go through this :(

      Delete
  12. You are such a sweetheart, what a great thing to do! Just voted!!

    xoxo
    Katelin
    http://www.mywardrobestaples.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you're donating to cancer research. I lost my boyfriend last month to cancer so it is also something close to my heart. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where is your outfit from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually this outfit in this post, which has all the details: http://www.planepretty.com/2013/08/floral-green-with-wallis-fashion.html

      Delete
  15. Don't you just love this bag? I have it in a tan color and I can put everything I need in it. I adore RM handbags. I also grabbed that watch at Nordstrom anniversary. I get so many compliments on it! I love those floral jeans too!

    xoxo,

    Amanda
    The Pretty Pinhead

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that subtle print ... GOOD LUCK!! off to vote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  17. Jenny, I will definitely go vote for you. You have no idea how near and dear to my heart this cause is! One of my best friends passed away a little over two years ago from a very advanced and rare form of pediatric ovarian cancer, meaning she had it for most of her life but it went undetected.

    So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad, I'm so sorry to hear that. It really is so upsetting, especially when they can't detect it soon enough. Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  18. heading off to vote for you jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you are offering to do something so generous! Cancer is a horrible disease and I also have family members who have had to experience it and it is just a terrible thing to go through... Good luck!

    Just linked up as well!

    Kamola
    99 Boxes of Shoes on the Wall

    ReplyDelete