5/14/15

A New Adventure.

Image via Pinterest

The past 10 years have been pretty good to me.  I moved from Portland, Oregon to Logan, Utah.  I attended school at Utah State University, where I met Emery.  We got married in the Logan LDS temple.  We moved to Lehi, Utah and bought our first house.  We had two beautiful children.  I began my career as a flight attendant.  I started this blog.  I made some great friends.

At first, I hated living in Utah.  The winters were cold, people seemed a little too judgmental, and there just wasn't the diversity I had known back in Oregon.  But over time I grew to love it.  It's safe, which is a big deal when you have kids.  Most people are really friendly.  It's a fairly inexpensive place to live.  And the best part, in my opinion...the mountains.  Oh, how I'll miss hiking in the gorgeous Utah mountains.

But, it's time for a new adventure.  It's time to start over somewhere new.  

At the beginning of August my family will be packing up our lives, jumping in the car and driving 1250 miles to our new home: Minneapolis, Minnesota.  That's right, I'm headed to the land of 10,000 lakes.  Home to the Mall of America, numerous professional sports teams, funny accents, and below freezing temperatures.

If anyone has any experience living in the Twin Cities area I would love to hear your thoughts.  I've been trying to research the best places to live and it's a little overwhelming.  I'd love to live in an old historic home in Southwest Minneapolis, but unfortunately I think that's a bit out of our price range.  Emery will be working in Woodbury, which looks like it could be a nice place to live, with great schools for the kids.  It's all so overwhelming, but I'm sure it will all work out.  It's certainly going to be an adjustment, but I'm excited for the change!

3 comments:

  1. You will love Minnesota! We are fun people with a million things to do year round! The food scene here is wonderful. I could eat my way through Minnesota. I love south Minneapolis but like you said the houses are a bit more spendy. Woodbury is a great city, although I don't know as much about, but I will soon will as my job is actually relocating to Woodbury. I live in Savage. Most of the Cities in the south east/west metro are really good. If you like older homes you may want to consider St. Paul. It is much closer to Woodbury. I'm not much help as I like everything Minnesota :) House prices are much more affordable if you cross the river into Wisconsin in a city called Hudson.

    I'm sure you will miss the mountains but you will learn quickly that every Minnesotan goes "up north" every weekend. We all head to northern MN for our cabins, lakes and the beauty. We do not have a shortage of hiking. It is just a differnt kind of hiking. Best wishes on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! I have ZERO input on a move to Minneapolis, but I wish you well! I hope you find a good house in a good neighborhood; I also hope the adjustment will be easy. Happy planning/moving!

    Chandra
    More Modern Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on moving to Minnesota My grandparents are from Minnesota and I grew up roadtripping from their home in Texas, to Minnesota (Minneapolis and farm country), and have the absolutely best memories a kid could hope for. MN is also a beautiful, safe and welcoming environment. I felt it to be a very liberal and inviting city but have only had brief encounters with the city as an adult. I hope you love MN :) Good luck with the move. Ryan and I just moved out of our apartment in SF to go on this five month trip, and we barely had any furniture (mostly put it on the curb and poof itd be gone in a matter of minutes!), I cannot imagine how much work the move will be with two little tykes! Sending happy packing vibes your way!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete